Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Mmmm, pumpkin goodness and other things

I made the pumpkin version of gooey butter cake over the weekend and I am soooo very glad I did. I love the original with just cream cheese, but this is phenomenal. Rich, pumpkin-y and creamy. Thank you, Paula Deen, for sharing this with the world! I have to try to the chocolate kind next. The pineapple is fabulous too- I wasn't sure how that would taste but is to die for. I won't be trying the banana version. That just doesn't sound too appealing.

Last night I made pork chops in the oven (snoooooze, I'd much rather grill!) and was successful. I breaded some of them with my own concoction of bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Some got a generous dusting of cajun seasoning and the rest were plain. Both seasoned versions were a hit with my fiance', a.k.a. Big 'Un, and his sidekick. The Sidekick came over to help with the newest fish tank and stayed for supper. I also made oven roasted potatoes but they were mediocre. I don't know why I can't get those right. I partially baked spuds in the micro then cubed them and tossed with olive oil, s&p and LOTS of fresh garlic. I LOVE GARLIC. Then I threw them in the oven with the chops. I think I cooked them too long in the micro and the end result was some rather dry, rather bland potatoes. I'll have to try again.

Dessert was easy because I was pressed for time and- gasp!- out of butter. A tragedy, for sure. Cookies made from a chocolate cake mix with white chocolate chips mixed in. They were ok, a little over baked but better than nothing.

The job hunt continues. I submitted a resume for a CSR position so now the wait begins. I HATE applying to blind ads but I'm running out of options at this point. Of course I'd much prefer a foodservice job but I have to take benefits into account. I don't want to go even a week w/o health insurance because I know that's the week we'll have medical catastrophes. That's just the way my life works.

No comments: